Sunday, December 16, 2012

Visiting PA

Now would that be Pennsylvania or Pa (as in Father)?  Well, both, actually.  Recently I flew East to spend a week with my father.  It rained, or at least drizzled, every day I was there, but at least it wasn't too cold.  I always have a nice time when I visit and I hope he does too.  We made the rounds catching up with my relatives and my father's wonderful neighbors.

Between the raindrops, I helped him change the oil in his car and cut and split some wood.  And this is a man who complains that he can't do anything any more.  At nearly 92, I think he's amazing.  Before you picture Paul Bunyan, he did use a chain saw to cut and a mechanical splitter to split the wood, but that image of him sliding under the car to remove the oil pan plug is accurate.  I functioned as the gofer.

Everything was perfect until I was on my way  home.  My flight out of Harrisburg to Atlanta was delayed and I would have missed my flight home out of Atlanta.  That was when the fun began.  I had to fly to Detroit, then Minneapolis, then home to Phoenix.  Somehow I was assigned a seat in first class for the second flight.  I kept waiting for somebody to kick me back to coach or worse.  I swear the rest of the first class passengers were looking at me oddly.  My seatmate was very sweet though and even pointed out the choicest snacks.

Somehow I never took any pictures. (And I especially wish I had gotten a shot of my father's feet sticking out from under the car.)

7 comments:

  1. An amazing man for 92, what a great role model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you would have taken a photo of Uncle Ellis with his feet sticking out from underneath the car. What a great photo to use at his 95th birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for your dad doing his own oil change. Things like that keep him young and spry.

    First class seat? That's the least they could do after bouncing you all aroung the country. Bet you started wondering if you were ever going to see Arizonia again. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First class is pretty nice, isn't it? It happened to us once. I wouldn't pay for it, though.
    Glad you had a good visit with your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. IT Is so cool that your dad is still active and willing to stay that way...WOW first class...that must have been awesome could you cross your legs while seated?

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was there, he pushed the Lincoln Town Car out of the garage so he could jump start it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to have him active at his age. I find most FC seats a little too deep for my short legs ... but I never say no to sitting up there when I manage to get FC award tickets ;-)

    ReplyDelete