Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Willcox, etc.

Willcox, Arizona is understandably proud of two things. As you come into town they are immediately obvious. We turned off the interstate on Rex Allen Drive and followed signs for the Rex Allen museum. Rex Allen was the 'last of the silver screen cowboys' and grew up in tiny Willcox. His singing career began in 1946 and spanned 30 years. His trademark song was Streets of Laredo. He starred in 19 action-packed western movies and 39 episodes of Frontier Doctor on television. Rex also narrated over 100 nature films for Walt Disney.

His ashes are scattered in the park behind this statue and his famous horse Koko is buried there.



Their other claim to fame is the annual Wings over Willcox festival celebrating the thousands of sandhill cranes who winter in the area. I loved the cranes on the overpass at that same exit off the interstate.



Not only will you have to click on this picture and view it larger, but you will also have to trust me that these are sandhill cranes. Although we didn't get the best view of them, their calls are unmistakable.



Oh, I forgot to mention one more thing that we certainly noticed about the town - the number of trains that pass through, also with unmistakable calls. When I was stopped by one, I barely had time to whip out the camera and set it on 'action shot.' These guys really zoom.



Although I'm not really a fan of hot springs and hot tubs (they're just too hot), we decided to make a trip to Safford which is known for them. Following my sister Diana's directions, we found a place with the charming name of Essence of Tranquility. From the outside, I had my misgivings.



However even I was charmed by the individual rooms, each with their own tub and decoration theme.


Since we were the only ones there, we checked out each one. Although the waterfall tub (left) and the heart tub (right) were both cute,













The buddha tub was just right and also seemed to fit the Essence of Tranquility name. (Note the buddha on the table and bamboo walls.)

4 comments:

  1. HOT TUBBING!! You are so adventurous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing and hearing sandhill cranes at Henry's Lake in Idaho. Quite loud. They just go up and up on the thermals until you can't even see them any more.

    Nice shot of the train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you got in the tub! I can remember when you wouldn't dream of doing that. Was it just to get a picture for the blog? :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right - anything for the blog!

    ReplyDelete