Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Fun Begins

Here are some 'before' and 'during' pictures of the house. I have been told that being tired is no excuse for not updating the blog.

First remember that RV gate that was too narrow for the RV?


No problem for Ron and our neighbor Joe with the 14 pound sledge hammer.


The first thing to go was this cabinet with the lovely orange counter top in the Arizona room (that's like a Florida room, only in Arizona.)


And we also wanted to replace the yellow counter top in the kitchen.


Of course while the counter top was out, we decided to get a new sink - nice huh? And decided to take out the window and make it a pass-thru between the kitchen and Arizona room. It's a slippery slope. Here the counter top and sink are in and the pass-thru is in progress.


This is looking from the living room into the dining room and the sliding glass doors to the AZ room. Inspired by Bertie's house, we decided to remove the door so the rooms will flow together.


Also an 'in progress' picture.


Then I said, "Well, you know, I'd like to update the bathroom lights too." (I told you it was a slippery slope.)


So Ron calmly took down the lights before the painter came.


I confess that I am not a handy person. The house that I lived in for 23 years, I never fixed up until I was moving out when I hired a handy man. But I thought, "How hard can it be to spray paint the blades of a ceiling fan?" I took one of the blades outside and hit it with a blast of paint. It immediately began to run down the blade, so to stop it I tried to wipe it with a paper towel. I was informed this was incorrect. Lost that job.

I decided the only thing I have some experience with is gardening. So I climbed up the six foot ladder and trimmed the four fruit trees - two orange, one grapefruit, and one lemon. Ron snapped this of me in action. Going up and down the ladder was the worst part. While trimming, I just didn't look down. I think I did a pretty good job.


The real challenge was the lemon tree. As the song says, it's pretty and smells sweet, but they neglected to mention the two inch thorns! Ouch!

(If you look closely, you can see the remains of white paint that I couldn't wash off. But I thought it made me look like I was working hard anyway.)

7 comments:

  1. The way Ron is attacking the remodeling,he should be finished by next week. THEN what will he do? You are fortunate to have such a handy man around the house.

    Your home looks beautiful. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it's you and not us.
    Looks great what you guys have done.
    The road to Lake Pleasant was good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh darn, I've been using that excuse - "I'm just too tired to update my BLOG." You have inspired me to post pictures of my house projects, soon, I'm sure.

    Your house looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, in less than a month you've managed to do more to your house than I did to mine in the 25 years I owned it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Ron finishes, please send him north to Centennial, CO. We need some counters replaced in the house we are trying to rent out there.
    Glad its going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new WINTER NEST. Thanks for the lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you guys have entered a new stage called domestication. I know several people that have caught this disease and it looks like you both have been afflicted with remodel--iittes. It's one thing to do this with your covered wagon but you bit off the whole enchilada. It is kinda fun though so I can only say "Wagons Ho".

    ReplyDelete