Friday, June 12, 2009

Land Between the Lakes

Since Tuesday we've been at lovely Piney Campground in Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. The NRA lies between two of the largest man-made lakes in the US and is about 1/3 in Tennessee and 2/3 in Kentucky. I can certainly see where all the water comes from, it rains every day. The first night, I forgot to close the windows on the car. When the thunder woke me, I thought of it, but after I noticed how close the lightning and thunder came together, I wasn't about to go out and shut them. A couple of times I could hear the actual crack. Ron even woke up once. After the storm passed (came back, passed, came back again and finally left for good,) I went out and shut the proverbial barn door after the horse escaped. It took three days to dry out the carpet and it still smells funny. Does anybody have any suggestions how to get rid of the mildew smell? Besides going back to the dry West?

This is a lovely huge campground with large spaces right along Kentucky Lake. It was a challenge to find a spot where we could get satellite TV, but we managed. It helped that we came on a Tuesday so it wasn't crowded. What is it with all those trees? There are people here with satellite dishes 100 feet from their rig. Ours is on top of the RV, so we just have to park where there's an opening in the trees. (I know what some of you are thinking, "Why does she need TV?" But you have to remember that this is my life, not a vacation. If I'm going to be here for a week, I want TV.)

We were thrilled when Diana and Phil stopped for two nights on their way through the area. Phil drove us around to check out the area (well, our car was wet!) and we tracked down this herd of bison. Check out the little ones!


Mostly, though, we're just relaxing. Ron got a fishing license and launched the kayak from our backyard today. He caught a bass that was big enough to keep, but didn't. I can't say I'm too upset, although I know he would clean it.

So instead, we went to Cindy's Catfish Kitchen tonight for dinner. If you ever get in the area, it's near the southern exit of the park and was very good and reasonable. The buffet was $8.50 and included dessert. The catfish was great and the apple crisp was perhaps the best I've ever eaten. Yum!

6 comments:

  1. It was wonderful seeing you and Ron also. Hopefully the next time we meet it will be in someplace drier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lysol spray claims to kill mold and mildew. I know that Tilex mold and Mildew cleaner does, and Ive cleaned outdoor fabric with it...test a spot on the carpet first and if it doenst discolor it spray it! Once you kill the mold the smell should go away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote that you return to the dry...dry...WEST! We miss you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Donna and Dixxe - I try one or both of your good suggestions. And ME, we'll be back before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We enjoy reading about your travels and seeing the photos. We are going to have to go somewhere! Our Blogs are boring - birthdays and new sheds. Next week we will be in Philadelphia for Annual Conference but I don't think that will make an interesting Blog post.

    ReplyDelete