Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Texas Oil

Today we arrived in Odessa, Texas. Ron decided to drive over to Midland to the Petroleum Museum. Hard as it might be to understand, I passed on going with him. When he returned, he turned over his pictures to be used in a blog posting. I explained that he would have to write the commentary and he handed me the brochure. So that means anything goes.


According to said brochure, the Petroleum Museum has the world's largest collection of antique drilling equipment and modern machinery. Pretty impressive. Here is the modern shiny steel drilling derrick.



But look at the charm of this wooden rig from 1923.



Luckily he took a picture of the sign here (he's learning) so I know this is a wellhead assembly called the 'Christmas tree.' Seems to be the wrong color for that, but it is very pretty.



Various oil pumpers that were actually working. (I liked the flags in the back.)



And my favorite, the tiny little baby pumper. So cute. I asked why they use different sizes and Ron said it depends on how deep the oil is. So I did learn something.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great eduction - everything I ever wanted to know about, um, Midland, TX. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking the Christmas Tree one would be prettier with some ornamants.

    Also, are there any other collections of antique drilling equipment in the world, to make this the "largest?"

    ReplyDelete