Friday, June 6, 2008

Chain O' Lakes SP

First a funny story. A few days ago, while we were at Chain O' Lakes State Park in Northern Illinois, we took advantage of their lovely bike paths for a relaxing ride. We were tooling down the trail with Ron in the lead when suddenly there was an ear-splitting squawk from the bushes along the edge. All Ron could see was a flash of movement in his peripheral vision. He didn't know what was coming after him. Well, I have to say I almost fell off my bike laughing because I could see it was a sandhill crane, who ran back into the bushes almost as soon as he left them. I guess he figured he had done his duty and scared off the intruder. Once Ron's adrenaline wore off, he had a good laugh too. We stopped and could just make out through the bushes a pair of cranes and Ron even saw a baby. He said it was about goose size. I confess I didn't have my camera and was trying to figure out how to take a picture with the phone. Of course by the time I did, they were gone.

Ron also bought a one-day fishing license and did some casting. Here are the first pictures taken by my new tiny camera.


Ron then had me hold the fishing pole so he could get this shot.

Just one more comment. I never thought I would open the fridge and see a container of worms on the top shelf. Never say never.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are some great pictures! The color is absolutely perfect. What kind of camera did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fishy story to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! John and I finally caught 16 bluegill Friday. If only we had a bike trail!

    ReplyDelete