Monday, June 2, 2008

Rochelle Railroad Park

This post is for my father who is an avid railroad enthusiast. For years he has been telling me about Rochelle, Illinois where the main tracks of the BNSF and UP cross. Today we were going right by Rochelle on our way to Rockford and I just had to stop. They have a pretty amazing setup at the Railroad Park. There is a raised, covered platform with picnic tables and lots of seating for the viewers. Although I understand 80 to 90 trains pass by every day, we were there for 2 hours and only saw two.


The first train was being powered by a CSX engine - my former employer. It's a sight to gladden my heart, although why is it on BNSF track?



I caught the second just before it reached the spot were the tracks cross.



Then after we gave up and were leaving town, we were stopped at a crossing by number three. It's never too late to take a picture out the front window.

3 comments:

  1. Cool! That's weird that you only saw 2 trains, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The train line were we our has at least 80 per day and according to the paper it will double soon.
    Were are you guys headed this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coincidence, I'm parked next to a train switching yard. Lots of trains, noise and smelly railroad ties lying around.

    ReplyDelete