Saturday, May 17, 2008

Big Spring, MO

On Thursday, Ron and I met back up with the WINs at Big Spring campground just south of Van Buren, Missouri. Since we were late, the campground loop with electric was pretty full with our friends, but we had our pick of the non-electric sites in the next loop.

Here we are in all our solitary splendor.

Actually, we're very happy with this spot - lots of sun, clear view of the southern sky for satellite TV, and no nearby campfires. (I know, what kind of a camper am I anyway?) However, as I sit here composing this post, it occurs to me that it's awfully noisy. Between the whip-poor-will, the crickets, and something else which might be frogs, I can hardly hear myself think!


The 'Big Spring' is the largest in Missouri with an average daily flow of 286 million gallons. It varies according to rainfall with sources as far as 40 miles to the west. Traveling through underground cracks, the water can take 130 days to reach the spring's outlet. The gorgeous aquamarine hue is due to minerals dissolved in the water.



Today we took a hike along the lovely Ozark Trail. Using multiple vehicles, half the group started at one trail head and half at the next one, six miles farther.





Here are Ron and Billy, who when in the lead, kept losing the rest of us.











At one point they were so engrossed in hiking (and I bet talking,) that they walked right by this car without seeing it. The rest of us wondered why they didn't stop since it was an odd sight in the middle of the woods.



At the halfway point, there was a ceremonial exchanging of the car keys. These WINs are pretty clever.







I've been getting a lot of hummingbirds on my feeder here. (Or maybe it's just the same hungry few.) I can't resist trying to take pictures even though I don't have the right equipment and I'm taking it through two windows.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, that's my knid of Hummer! Great shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color of that water. Good hummer shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, fantastic shot of the hummingbird. Is that a Ruby Throated? We have Whip-poor-wills here too and they sure are loud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I should have ID'd the hummer. Yes, it is a Ruby Throated. As far as I know, they're actually the only ones east of the Mississippi.

    ReplyDelete