Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

Where there is a WIN gathering, you can be sure there will be lots of planned activities. Ron and/or I have participated in some since our return from Denver.

One of my favorite adventures is 4-wheeling into unknown territory. Since the Saturn only has a two-inch clearance (ok, Ron insists it's three inches,) we don't have the ability to explore that way. Happily the WINs planned a 4-wheel trip through the mountains to the nearby town of Wellton. Even better, Carol wanted to drive it in her Forerunner and agreed to take Diana, Phil, and me along. As I mentioned before, Ron doesn't deal well with those exciting car rides so he went rock hunting with another group.

To our surprise, the 4-wheeling group consisted of our car and five ATVs. Humm. But Carol fearlessly followed along the rock strewn road. . .


Through the flooded tunnel. . .


And over some very exciting hills. This one was just about straight down.

And I didn't even get pictures while I was busy holding on.

We ended up at this quaint little restaurant in Wellton. I know it doesn't look like much, but their burgers were wonderful.


Then Carol safely delivered us back home.

Ron didn't get any pictures of the rock hunting, but then it's not exactly a photographic activity. :-)

Another day we went birding in the West Wetlands Park in Yuma. I had told the group about the little green bird (identified only as an LGB) that Ron and I saw when we were parked in that area. So everyone was anxiously watching for this special bird. When we all fanned out, wouldn't you know Ron and I saw it again. By the time we got the others' attention, it was gone. I'm just glad Ron was with me or they would probably think I was making it up or just nuts. And, no, it wasn't a parrot.

Here are some of the birding group - Bob, Carol (of 4-wheeling fame,) Me, Ron, and Sandra.


Notice Sandra's very serious hiking shoes in the above picture. They're quite a change from the ones below that she was using during our circle tour this past summer.

Actually the women loved them so much that one day they all decorated their hiking shoes with beads.

Then it was time for New Year's Eve. The WINs started the evening with some delicious finger foods. Bob and Donna paused to smile for the camera.

I have to confess that I didn't realize at first that there was a line inside the group of tables and was just picking from my side. Oops!

Then we went into the VFW for dancing. Diana and Phil look very festive.


And what would the occasion be without our Bagpipe Bob to bring in the New Year?


We spent New Years Eve as it should be enjoyed - with lots of good friends like Joey and LJ.

I hope the New Year brings you good health and happiness. It must be a sign that I'm aging - I now list good health as the first priority.

5 comments:

  1. We've eaten at that restaurant! Not this year, but we did last year and one other year. Yes, they do have wonderful burgers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like lots of fun, as usual!! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like lots of fun, as usual!! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure was fun, Sally and Sally! Great picture of Phil and me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Ron... Rather look for rock than bounce over rocks and a dusty trail.

    Happy New Year and enjoy your 2009 travels.

    ReplyDelete