Sunday, January 25, 2009

WIN Farewell

Today the unusually solemn WINs held a memorial service for some beloved members who recently passed away. I confess that for the first several years I was with the group, when notified of a member's passing, it didn't mean a lot to me since I didn't know them well (or even, at all.) As I read what I've just written, it sounds a bit cold, but honest - although I am saddened to hear of anyone's passing, it wasn't personal. However, in the past two months, I was staggered by the deaths of three wonderful, special people and, by the turnout for the memorial, I was not alone. Many people shared personal memories they had of each individual at the memorial. I knew I would end up a blubbering mess if I attempted that, so here are my memories.

First, in late November, our precious Weezie was taken from us. She had already been traveling with the WINs for ten years when I joined in 2001 and I only knew her for a short time before she went off the road. However she made a huge impression on me. She was one of the most upbeat, friendly people I have ever met and always had a smile and a kind word for everyone. I understand she had been a mail carrier and loved to hike and dance. She was a big believer in the phrase, "Life is short, eat dessert first." In her honor, Ron and I had ice cream for lunch today.


Next we lost our wonderful Don. I thought of Don as a philosopher. As I was traveling through Utah one day, I happened upon Don at a rest area. We had a longer conversation than usually happens during morning hugs (although he was a great hugger,) and he imparted two bits of wisdom I have never forgotten. First he said he is always looking forward - that's why he has a big windshield and small rear view mirrors. Secondly he said when he was a boy he had everything he needed - a bicycle and a nickel. The first is self-explanatory, and, although I probably should have asked him exactly what he meant by the second, I interpreted it to mean we can be happy without all the extraneous stuff that fills our adult life. What a wise man.


And just the other day, Billy, who never even got a cold and we thought would live forever, lost a very quick battle to cancer. Billy loved people, talking, hiking, talking, dancing, talking, kayaking, and, did I mention talking? He was a generous, good-hearted soul who was first to offer help if anybody needed it. He once offered to drive a friend's rig across the country when he was in a bind. After Hurricane Katrina, he went to Mississippi to help transport supplies. Many of the WINs have stories about how Billy helped them in so many ways. It's impossible to grasp that this vibrant force is gone.

Farewell, dear friends. We will never forget you.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice tribute. I got misty and didn't even know these friends of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Barbara, for sharing these memories with us. We weren't at the memorial, but now we can feel some of the tribute paid to these wonderful people. We knew them all well. They exemplified all the attributes I strive for, and their presence will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tribute, Barbara. Thanks so much for sharing this. I only knew Billy of the three and had no idea he was even sick. One did not need to know him long to know what a kind person he was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful farewell to 3 great friends. Thanks for saying it so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tribute! I have a nice Billy story. He helped me move some furniture across California many years ago. He was a great guy!! As were the other WINs we sadly lost this month.

    ReplyDelete