Friday, January 30, 2009

House Hunting

I love looking at houses! Seriously! I'm afraid Ron isn't quite as enthralled with the process, but I get a kick out of it. Maybe I should have been a Realtor, but then I'd have to deal with people like me who can't make up their minds. Although Ron wanted to get a fixer-upper, the house we had submitted a bid on was just too much to fix and we (or maybe I) changed our minds. After all, it's supposed to be a winter home not a full time job.

You can tell when these houses were built by all the harvest gold and avocado green appliances. We saw lots of kitchens that looked like this.


This is Kathy our Realtor expressing her opinion about the smell in this house.

By the way if you're ever looking for a house in the Mesa area, Kathy is the best. She happily showed us house after house beginning last winter.

This house came completely furnished! I'm sure green velvet will be back in style soon.


And this one was actually cute as a button except for the all-pink bathroom. I think the toilet seat had seashells in it.


But finally we found the right one. It's only 1119 sq. ft., but will work perfectly for us. We have a signed contract and barring any major problems with the inspection, we'll be closing in mid-February. Our original two criteria for our winter home were that it had to be in an 'over 55' community and allow RV parking on the property.


It has a lovely RV gate. Unfortunately after careful measuring, even with the side mirrors folded in, they won't fit through the gate. But never fear, Ron will take out some of the wall and redo the gate. What a guy!


Here's part of the eat-in kitchen which I like just the way it is, but will love when we replace the counter top. But that's much better than replacing all the appliances and remodeling. I just know we're not going to agree on the counter top, though - Ron wants something light and I'm thinking granite looking. Humm.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finding a house. I did have to laugh at the Harvest Gold kitchen in the one house - where have I seen that before? Our best groan was the green sink and yellow vanity counter top in our former bathroom.

    I agree with Ron - granite might be the "new" craze but I don't like it.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? Pink and turqouise bathrooms are out? I need new tubs! I vote for the granite look. Congratulations..it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I vote for the granite too. Definitely in for the moment. My biggest groan was the seashells on the toilet. Definitely looked like something else from here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for you! You sound excited about this one and I'm glad for you. Seems you'll be in yours before we're in ours!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great!!
    How many RV's can you fit in the back yard?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!! I should be mvoing into my new old house about the same time as you guys. We can compare our trials and tribulations of senior houses. Or is that senior houseing? I'm keeping my 1965 green tile counter tops and tub surround.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't say congratulations. Your stuck with being a homeowner again and losing the freedom of the road but to each his own. Glad not everyone is out doing that or the desert would be full.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Nooooo!

    Does this mean no more of your excellent travel blog posts???

    I enjoy your writting very much, I'd sure miss your pictures and interesting travel stops.

    All the best to you and Ron, no matter where your future adventures take you! :)

    ReplyDelete