Thursday, September 19, 2013

Susanville

We spent a few days in and around Susanville, CA - one night at the Walmart and two at a sno park 14 miles west of town on CA 36.  It might have been a little late in the year to park at 5800 feet, but it was a great spot.

One day we explored part of the Bizz Johnson Trail, a rails-to-trails along the Susan River.  It runs for 25.4 miles from Susanville to near Westwood.  We decided to walk a part of it one day and ride another section later.  Well, later never came, so we only saw the 2 (or so) mile section we walked out and back.

The trestles had been rebuilt and looked brand new.  While this one was being repaired, the hikers/bikers were detoured to the really old crumbly bridge you can see behind it.

I loved how they shored up the guard rail.  Although for 90 years old, I guess it's not too bad.

For most of our walk, we had a nice view of the Susan River.

If it was a little later in the year, it would be even prettier.

Like the Route of the Hiawatha, this trail also had tunnels, but short enough that you could see the light.

This made me laugh.  I know you can't read the sign, but it gives you an option.  If you don't want to go through the tunnel, there is a trail around it.

And here's a great idea.  Across the river the California prison inmates were working on a hiking trail.

I'm sorry we never got around to biking farther up the river.  I understand it goes through a scenic canyon.  Well, I always say we have to save something for the next time.


4 comments:

  1. I really like the Old Bridge surely it can be salvaged and made sturdy for foot traffic, the new one is safe but ugly.
    I see the trail around the small tunnel gets some traffic amazing.
    Im guessing those are not axe murders in the orange jumpsuits, while IM slaving away at work they are out on a trail on a beautiful day...Ill take that punishment anyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems there's always something to see and do "next time", right? Thanks for sharing what you did see. Nice pics, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great countryside. Lovely trestle bridges. Another wonderful place to cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scenery. I have been "through" Susanville many times but never thought to stay and explore. Looks like I need to revamp my thinking.

    ReplyDelete