Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Sassy Salida

Okay, I was just looking for an alliteration for the title.  As I've said many times before, I love Salida. Downtown is a fun and active place.

And the beautiful Arkansas River provides entertainment for rafting and kayaking.

But what I like best is how the town is surrounded by mountains with numerous trails.  Although we stick with hiking, many of the trails allow biking, horseback riding, and dirt bikes.

Having said that, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that we only did one hike in the week we were there. Maybe we were just worn out from all those family activities.

We hiked a loop of the Methodist Mountain trail system with Jim and Gayle who were parked on BLM land west of town.  If you read their blog, you know their hiking is way out of our league, but hopefully our scintillating company made up for the lack of distance.  

Cool view, huh?

We rewarded ourselves with lunch at Amicas, a very popular micro brewery with excellent pizza.  Ron and I also had root beer floats.  Yum!

Salida hosts many festivals and special events including the Fabric Festival that was being held while we were in town.  The entire process was represented from finished items,

To skeins of yarns in numerous colors,

And even the raw materials to spin your own.  It doesn't get any rawer than this.

I just kept thinking that my cousin Terry would love it.

On our last day in town, we caught up with friends of Ron's who had just returned from a trip.  Russ and Linda have a gorgeous house in Salida with the most beautiful yard.  

Even a waterfall.

They're very happy living in my perfect town.

BTW, they told us that Amicas used to be a mortuary and the brewing area was the embalming room.  LOL

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you did a hike with Jim and Gayle. I read their blog and know I'm not in their league at all, I'd be exhausted just walking down the steps from my RV... :cD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your friends have a beautiful yard! Interesting about Amicas being a former mortuary. We can attest that they brew some pretty good beers from the embalming room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful garden. I bet that took some work.

    ReplyDelete