Friday, May 20, 2016

Bryce (part 3)

One day Diana directed us to Willis Creek trailhead for an unusual hike in Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument.  It was a bit of a drive from our spot outside of Bryce, but so worth it.

The trail follows Willis Creek as it cuts a canyon along its way.

Soon we passed some horses (and mules) returning upstream.

At that point we renamed it Horse Poop Canyon.

Being cautious where we stepped, we stopped often to admire the swirled rock walls.

As the canyon narrowed, we must have crossed the creek 20 or 30 times.   Luckily we had Ron to add rocks in strategic spots for stream hopping.

I guess we can't really complain about the water since there would be no beautiful slot canyon without it.

Ron is searching for the elusive Rock Pecker.

On our last day in Bryce Canyon NP, we walked part of the Rim Trail from Sunrise Point to Inspiration Point - sounds impressive, but it's only about 1 1/4 miles.  The views were wonderful, but my pictures weren't, so I'll just post this one of Queen Victoria (on the left) and her court.

I'll direct you to Diana's blog for more pictures, but end with a picture I took in 2009.  (Is that cheating?)


2 comments:

  1. That is a nice looking slot trail!! Why didn't I think of placing rocks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't done the Willis Creek trail. Looks like a nice slot. I looked up directions to the trailhead and I'm still not sure exactly where it is or how to get there!

    ReplyDelete