Sunday, October 8, 2017

Long Overdue

I know it’s been a really long time since I posted, especially considering we’re still on our summer travels.  But we did have a break in routine which always throws me off my blogging.  About two months ago, my father had a stone in his pancreatic duct.  He had previously had the same situation eight years ago, so he knew when the debilitating pain began, he had to get to the hospital.  His gastroenterologist again went in down his esophagus, through his stomach, into his pancreatic duct, and pulled out the stone.  Pretty amazing, huh?  All seemed to be fine when they released him from the hospital.  Unfortunately, all the antibiotics that they prescribed didn’t agree with him causing him to end up back in the hospital with dehydration.  Upon his release from the second stay in the hospital in a very weakened condition, I flew to PA to play nurse.  Although I am not the best caregiver, he is amazing, and by the time I left two weeks later, he was remarkably improved.  Whew!

Then, less than two weeks after my return, I left Ron again to visit my darling daughters in Florida.  I was on a roll.  We enjoyed our time together, and found time to visit historic St. Augustine.  The girls are even more camera shy than I am, so no pictures of them, but I do have a few of St. Augustine. 

According to the plaque, this gate, opened in 1739, provided the only access through the defense line on the north side of Spanish St. Augustine. 


St. George Street is pedestrian only and filled with fun shops and eateries in the heart of the city’s historic district,


And home to the oldest wooden schoolhouse in the U.S.  The exact date of construction is unknown, but it first appears on tax records in 1716.  It’s not often you see something in the United States that’s 300 years old.


Beautiful Flagler College is a 4-year liberal arts college.


We were awed by the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Augustine.


This was America’s first parish, founded in 1565, but the cathedral was built between 1793 and 1797.


We also toured the St. Augustine Distillery.


It was an interesting tour, but the best part was the tour guide’s appearance.  He looked the picture of an old-time distiller. 


My daughter had free tickets for Potter’s Wax Museum or we probably wouldn’t have gone, but we were all very impressed.  The wax figures are remarkable and the displays are set up beautifully.

Here are some former U.S. presidents and first ladies . . .


And some signers of the Declaration of Independence.


Look at the detail.  It looks like Albert Einstein is looking right at me!  His eyes seemed to follow me.  Alright, it was a little creepy.


But speaking of creepy, there was a room with characters from horror movies.  None of us wanted to be first (or last) going through that room.  I really thought Freddy Krueger was going to leap out at me.  Yikes!


But General MacArthur gave me back my confidence.


I did have a bit of excitement when hurricane Irma decided to hit Florida right when I was due to fly home.  I was lucky enough to get the last seat on a flight two days earlier for no extra charge.  Thank you, American Airlines.  I did feel like I was deserting a sinking ship, but luckily my daughters didn’t even lose electric.  We were all very thankful.



5 comments:

  1. You have been busy. Glad Dad is doing much better. I've never been much of a fan of wax museums but this one looks very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your issues with your dad, my dad, same age as your's has been in the hospital three times this year already. You have to do the best you can to take care of them, thank heavens for modern medicine that can treat them so successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taking care of family comes before Blogging. Glad your father is doing better.
    With all the other excitement you've been having, you are probably breathing a sigh of relief at being Home.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear your dad had some trouble, and so happy he is better now! St Augustine is a very interesting city with very old history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We enjoyed our visit to St. Augustine. Glad you did too. You are a good daughter and good mother. What a summer you’ve had.

    ReplyDelete