Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 5

At Sea

But first a few words on our embarkation.  It was wet, windy, and generally unpleasant.  After seeing the whitecaps in the harbor, Ron knew he would be in for a bad night.  Smart man that he is, he hit up the medical facility for some of their super-duper seasickness pills.  He slept through a very rocky night.  A few times, the ship dropped so abruptly and with such a crash that I wondered just how much punishment it could take before it broke apart.  One time, I swear I levitated off the bed.  But at least Ron had a good night's sleep.

But my biggest surprise happened when I got up in the morning.  I was seasick!  I honestly thought that would never happen to me.  I've been on deep sea fishing tours where half the passengers were green and I loved the bobbing around like a cork.  (Sometimes a 'whee' was heard coming from my direction.)  Maybe I'm just getting old.  At least this experience gave me a greater empathy for Ron's motion sickness.

Here is the map for the 7-day cruise portion of our trip.

As you can see, with the exception of the side trip to Hubbard Glacier, all the first night and day we were traveling in open water.  I think the bad rocking ended by mid-day, but we wouldn't know since we mostly slept.  I guess it's not just the drugs that knock you out, but the sickness itself.  (I didn't take anything for two reasons.  First, I was told you have to take it before you get sick and, second, I react so badly to medicines that I was afraid it would make me worse.) (Oh, and BTW, even our room steward said he was sick.)

Luckily I woke up and was feeling okay by the time we started up the inlet to Hubbard Glacier.  Just like this little girl, I put on every piece of clothing I had and ventured out on deck.

Oh, goody, first ice.

Some looked like ice sculptures.

One more . . .

And suddenly, the captain announced that we were there and he would be turning the ship around.

What ?!?

Well, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

Luckily, when I arrived back at the room, Ron was up and feeling better.  I showed him my lovely picture of Hubbard Glacier which he said he was so sorry to have missed.  We managed to actually eat something and when we returned, we found this interesting towel creature.  Cute, but I just can't figure out what it's supposed to be.  Any ideas?

Thus ended day 5.  I think you can appreciate that it was the worst day of an otherwise wonderful trip.


  1. Now I'm having second thoughts about an Alaskan cruise after your rough day since we both tend to get motion sick.
    A cat maybe? But why?

  2. We did the same Alaska cruise in the month of June and we were so lucky to have wonderful weather. Hope it clears up for you with no more rough seas. My guess is a bulldog?

  3. woozie...Oh I've been sea sick, air sick, and car sick...its horrible! I also think Bulldog!

  4. 'Nuff said on getting seasick! I know that feeling all to well. I've also chummed a lot of the oceans... :c(

  5. I think you might be right with the bulldog. I was thinking maybe a bear, but that didn't seem quite right.

  6. I've never been sea sick or motion sick either but I'm sure there is always the first time. And after seeing people actually turn green it can't be fun. Your picture of the glacier??? was just plain sad. And I have no idea what that thing is.

  7. Hey, Mary Ellen, Ron also said it was a crab because of the eyes. But I said, "It has ears!"

  8. How about a frog? Vrab would work too. Those aren't ears, they're eyes! Frogs and crabs have them on top of their heads.

    Interesting how everyone sees something different.

    Sorry this is such a late comment. I'm catching up from two vacations in May and June.

  9. I'm sorry the weather didn't cooperate for your sea day and visit to Hubbard ... I think we've both gotten our sea legs .... but I still go prepared ... nothing worse than having motion sickness.