Monday, June 15, 2009

LBL Nature Center

The Land Between the Lakes is a boaters' paradise. As I mentioned in the last post, our campsite is right on the lake and Ron kayaked and fished from our backyard. But people with large boats can put in at the boat ramp, then tie up right at their site. Although the campground has a 21-day limit, they also have long-term sites. It's wonderful to see the facilities being used by families, but I feel sorry for all the tenters every time it rains - which it does a lot.

During one break in the rain, we went to the Nature Center, home to injured animals that can't be released back into the wild.

This barn owl was very alert for a nocturnal animal.


This fallow deer (so the sign said) didn't seem bothered by us at all.


The very elegant red-tailed hawk refused to turn around and show off his red tail.


There was also a butterfly garden and lots of bird feeders. This tiger swallowtail was so busy eating that I don't think he even noticed me.


And the gulf fritillary on the orange butterfly milkweed almost hurts the eye.


Back at the campground, we caught this nice sunset over Kentucky Lake.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictues!! I loved the sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, terrific pictures! I guess I shouldn't have left so early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the sunset. Using the trees as a frame looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a picture post card sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Guys,
    If you're still at LBL, be sure to check out the Homeplace if it's still running, and mention my name; you may meet some of my friends there that worked there years ago when I visited.
    Hope you're having fun,
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and ask around to see if they are still selling the Peanut Butter Milkshakes!!! They were wonderful, although I was hesitant to try one.
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful picture of the sunset! WOW! I just could not take eyes off of it. As always, love the blog too!

    ReplyDelete