Saturday, September 5, 2009

International Peace Garden

Since we are taking the northern route (US 2) on our trip back west, I wanted to revisit the International Peace Garden. I had been there in June of 2001 and thought I was a bit early for the best show of flowers. This time I felt I was a bit late going in September. However there was still plenty to see.

The garden sits on the US/Canada border in North Dakota and Manitoba. Dedicated in 1932, it stands as a lovely reminder of the peaceful coexistence between the two nations.

This would be more obvious in a plane, but the countries' border extends from where I'm standing and splits the two sections of the peace tower at the other end of the main garden.


The 18 ft. floral clock was donated by the Bulova Watch company in 1966.


There was lots of color . . .


Including these striking dahlias.


Here we're getting closer to that elusive Peace Tower.


Ah, we made it. The tower is 120 feet or 37 meters tall - you can barely see Ron at the base. The tower was erected in 1982, 50 years after it was planned by an early garden board.


On our walk back, I couldn't resist another picture of the pretty flowers.


I think this two-toned day lily was my favorite.


The Peace Garden is 46 miles north of Rugby where we left the RV during our side trip in the car. Many of the small towns in North Dakota offer free overnight RV parking, sometimes even with hookups. We accepted their hospitality and stayed at the county fairgrounds in Rugby. Then we realized how clever these North Dakotans are. We filled the RV with gas, shopped in the local Pamida (I love those stores,) and had dinner in a local restaurant. It was anything, but free! Just kidding, we appreciate savings anytime.

Rugby is also the geographical center of North America!

By the way, if you go to the International Peace Garden, although the turn into the parking lot is before the Canadian customs booth, you do have to go through US customs when you leave. Of course that would be the opposite coming in from Canada.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely flower pictures. I was going to say that I've never been there, but if you were there in June 2001, then I guess I was too. Hmmmm... Getting old, forgetting things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the flowers! And, yes, we've been there, too. Brings back good memories. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful pictures and info. We have never there but hope to some day. I need to get back into blogging. I have been so bad this summer. See ya down the road. (again) Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great place. I'm glad to see it. I said just today there was nothing in North Dakota I wanted to see. I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great flowers!! You find so many super places.

    ReplyDelete