Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cedar City Wrap Up

I think I have found a place that rivals Salida, Colorado, in my affections.  Of course it only makes sense because they have a lot in common.  Both are active, thriving towns that are big enough, but not too big.  Both have fantastic scenery and very friendly people.  Cedar City has that lovely hiking path, but Salida has the Arkansas River.  I think it's a toss up.

We stayed for five nights in the Elks parking lot.  The only problem with parking at the Elks is I feel obligated to go in for a drink and we don't really drink.  Sure we give them a donation to express our appreciation, but feel we should do more.  It works better for us when they have dinners, but unfortunately this one doesn't.

While there, we visited the Frontier Homestead and Iron Mission State Park.  If you've been following our blog, you know I'm not a big fan of museums, but this was a 'two for one.'  Anyway Ron wanted to go.

And this is why I avoid them - Ron inspects and reads EVERYTHING!  And I don't share my sister's love of rusty stuff either.

Inside the building was the Frontier Museum with some interesting wagons.  Maybe we should pull the water carrier behind the RV.

I never really noticed how some of the carriages look so much like the early cars.  This was a Clarence and cost $2000 in the 1860's.  Wow!

Most of the displays were restored, but this Overland Stage obviously wasn't.  The sign said there was a bullet lodged in its side, but we never found it.

But this Concord Stage was a replica and we were encouraged to try it out.  With a team of six horses, traveling 24 hours a day, it took 16 days to travel from St. Louis to San Francisco.  It rocks like crazy even sitting still and Ron decided he would never have made it.

Next we went out back for the Iron Mission State Park.

Oh, no, not more plows and seeders and hay rakes!

But wait!  Roses!

Oooo, look at the color of this one!

But I jest.  There were lots of interesting things including this pioneer cabin said to be the oldest in Southern Utah.  It was built in 1851 by George Wood.

And you could tour this fancier house, which since I forgot to take a picture of the sign, I know nothing about.

Well, I do know one thing, it didn't have a kitchen or eating area.  When I walked around to the back, I discovered why.
I guess they left half the house when they moved it.

Seriously though, the museum was very well done and informative.  The Iron Mission name refers to when Brigham Young sent Mormon missionaries there to mine iron in the 1850s.  That was very interesting, but I'll leave that for you to learn when you visit.

5 comments:

  1. Don't think I would have survived that stagecoach ride either ... all that swaying would have taken its toll for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have survived the ride in that stagecoach, but only if I could find where they kept the bathroom.

    I guess that's what they meant when the called the pioneers "hardy". ;c)

    Sorry you didn't get the rusty stuff genes like Diana...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hats off to those pioneers who were really hardy people. I'm with Ron on reading all the stuff in museums....thats why they put it there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love museums but afraid I get bored easily as I tend to give most displays a quick look/see.

    Hubby loves aviation museums while my eyes quickly glaze over.

    Now looking at old houses, that's a different story altogether. Those look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fantastic town. I've never spent any time there, but maybe I will soon. The road was closed due to the landslide when we were there last spring.

    ReplyDelete