Monday, August 4, 2014

More Kettle Moraine

We stayed three nights at the Southern unit of Kettle Moraine so we did some running around before Pam arrived.  We asked for a trail recommendation at the campground entrance station and were told to check out the Scuppernong Springs Nature Trail.  Were we glad we did.

The beginning of the trail doesn't look like much, but soon it opens up into meadow with a beautiful display of prairie wildflowers.

I showed this picture to Pam, but now I can't remember what she said this cute little flower is called.

But I think it's pretty safe to say these are Black-eyed Susans.

The springs were pretty interesting.

More pretty flowers - Pam?

Ron said this tree looked like it should be next to a haunted house.

And yet another butterfly posed for me.  I discovered it's a Giant Swallowtail.  At about four inches across, it deserves the name.


4 comments:

  1. The flowers are beautiful but I have no idea what they are. Look at that tree - definitely a Halloween one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first flower reminds me of a lady's slipper...but I dunno! Pretty stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers ... but I have no idea either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you believe I'm this far behind in blog reading again?? The little orange one is Jewelweed, the purple one is Hoary Vervain. Both I had to look up earlier when they first bloomed this year and are so adorable! By the way, you were right the first time, I do live in Wisconsin by a mile, not Illinois. We've lived within 2 miles of the border in 3 different houses over the last 20 years, always on the WI side because real estate is so much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete