Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Day Four (part 1)

Because the time in Hawaii is three hours earlier than Arizona, once again I was up before sunrise.

We got an early start and had such a big day that I'm going to break it into two posts.  First we checked out another beach - pretty, but I don't think we'll be doing any snorkeling there.

Then we excitedly headed up Waimea Canyon Rd to milemarker 9 and the Kukui trailhead.  Diana's guidebook said this trail was a good way to get down into the canyon and had great views.  Although it's never optimum to descend first, then climb back out, we wanted to try it.

So let's go!

Sure enough, the views were breathtaking.

And still we continued down.

One section was steep with lots of tiny, loose gravel.  But we persevered.  Diana found a method that worked for her.

I wonder what other hikers will think of our tracks.

I hope this isn't a bad sign.

After about 3/4 of a mile, we gave up.  The trail was just too steep and slippery.  I snapped one more picture up the canyon . . .

And one across.

Looking at my two pictures up the canyon, I see there's really not much difference between them. We probably could have turned around earlier, but it's good to push ourselves a bit.  I'm so glad we did it, although I did wish for my hiking shoes and sticks.


2 comments:

  1. a stick would have been nice to have on that ball bearing downhill...sure is beautiful there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. A great place to hike.
    I've seen you go downhill that way on Picacho Peak, too.

    ReplyDelete