Thursday, May 8, 2008

Blanchard Springs

Yesterday (Wednesday) was the last day of this WIN gathering and Ron and I decided to check out Blanchard Springs Caverns. But on the way. . .


Although I sound like a broken record about the flood damage, tell me, who is going to get this picnic table out of the tree?



I honestly didn't expect much of Blanchard Springs Caverns, probably because I had never heard of them (how egotistical of me.) Well, they were a surprise. I won't bore you with a lot of pictures since mine don't come out very well in caverns, but there was a 900 foot section of wall that all looked like this.



Unlike Carlsbad, these caverns are very wet. This is Blanchard Springs where the water gushes out of the side of the mountain after flowing through the caverns.



Like most caves, bats make their home there. We found this little guy out in broad daylight. He did lift his head and look at me, but I'm afraid he was dying.



To thank us for helping around the campground, the owner Guy brought out the giant smoker and provided and cooked some melt-in-your-mouth meats.



Listing from the bottom are pork ribs, chicken, and beef brisket, with Carol admiring the results.

The WINs did their usual fine job of providing sides and desserts and we feasted and celebrated our camaraderie. Tomorrow we'll move to the next stop on this NARKSMO kayaking tour - Buffalo Point CG about 15 miles south of Yellville. This will be our last stop in Arkansas before heading on to Missouri.

2 comments:

  1. You show a picture of a dying bat and then a picture of a big BBQ. I'm making a connection here. Yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ne2hellGreat shots! I wish I'd seen the picnic table in the tree.

    ReplyDelete