Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The WINs Work!

For the past several years, the WINs have stayed at Sylamore Creek Camp, north of Mountain View, Arkansas around this time. Sadly the whole campground was under water several weeks ago and is still recovering. The WINs decided to take a morning and do something to help. Christy took charge and obtained a list of priority jobs from the owner. We each volunteered for one of five assignments.


When the waters receded, the siding and wet insulation was removed from this bath/shower building to allow the wood to dry.

The first two jobs were 1) insert new fiberglass insulation and 2) cover that with insulation board and strand board at the corners.


Jim, Bob, Phil, and Tom got right to work.



Here's Charlie cutting insulation, ably assisted by John.



Job 3 was pulling nails out of the wood from a demolished 25 foot set of steps that used to go down to the beach area. Here is Bertie showing off her expertise.

This is actually the job that I did. It took me about 1/2 hour to get out the first nail, but I did get better. Who would have thought it would be a learned skill? As I told everyone, I am ambidextrous, which means I'm just as uncoordinated with my left hand as my right.


Job 4 was a general cleanup of the beach area. Although it was hard work, Ellie and Peggy are still smiling.



Job 5 was to clean out all the fire pits and spread grass seed. Linda is pretty handy with a shovel.

Since the grass seed part never happened, this team also helped with the beach cleanup.


Mike saw another job that needed to be done and got out his tree trimmer. Here he's assisted by Bill, with Janet hamming it up for the camera.



So let's see how the bath house is coming. . . Ron's doing a fine job with the insulation board.



While Max and Phil work on the strand board in the corners.



Eureka! One perfectly insulated bath house!

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of everybody involved - there were about 36 of us. But you know I was working too and couldn't just run around taking pictures all morning.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos. Only wish I had arrived in time to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys did some good work. And you got some meat as a reward. :)

    ReplyDelete