Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Branson !

On Sunday, Ron and I left the WINs to make a stop in Branson, Missouri. I had never been there and wanted to experience it. We decided to stay at Turkey Creek RV Village which is one of the Escapee parks and, therefore, a bargain. (Escapees is another RV club that we belong to which has RV parks scattered throughout the country for the use of the members.) I was amazed to realize how convenient this park is to downtown Branson. And of course the people are just as friendly and helpful as they are at every one of the Escapee parks. We arrived just in time for the Sunday ice cream social. For 75 cents, we had a huge chunk of ice cream and assorted toppings. What a Mothers Day treat!

On Monday, we ran into Christy (a fellow WIN) downtown and she told us about an event being held that night to benefit the local chapter of the Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA). For just a $10 donation, we saw the perfect Branson variety show. The performers donated their time and each did two or three numbers, so we experienced many of the best acts in town. Thanks, Christy!


First, let me apologize for the picture quality. My camera is not made for low light. The MC for the event was Tom Mullica as Red Skelton. He was just wonderful. Here he is in the Clem Kadiddlehopper role, if I remember Red's characters correctly.



We also enjoyed George Trillinger as Buddy Holly.



And of course the night wouldn't be complete without Elvis. This is Tony Roi.

My favorite acts are the ones with lots of great harmony. There were several of those too. I took videos and was going to put one on this post, but couldn't get it to upload, so you'll have to take my word for it.

In the parking lot, Ron found a reminder of his past. Ah, those were the good old days.



We each picked one show we really wanted to see. I picked SIX - the most amazing act I have ever seen. The group consists of six brothers (with four more in the family - their parents were hoping for a girl) and as the promotional brochure says, 'You won't believe what comes out of their mouths.' Usually, four of them sing in wonderful harmony while two are human instruments. Jak acts as the bass while Owen is the drums and cymbals. I found Owen particularly fun to watch as he gets into it and his whole body moves with his sound effects. It was a truly incredible performance. I could go back over and over, but that would be expensive. Once again, my videos are worthless, but I found their promotional video on Youtube. If you have a broadband connection, you will be amazed. (Don't even try it with anything else.)

For the SIX video, click here

1 comment:

  1. I hope you paddled up the awesome little creek behind the campground.

    ReplyDelete